Title: Excision of the tumor
Author: Francesco Porpiglia
- Monopolar scissors are used for demarcating the renal parenchyma around the tumor
- The gas insufflation pressure is increased to 18mm Hg.
- The tumor is excised with a combination of monopolar scissors and bipolar forceps. The plane between the tumor and the pseudocapsule separating it from the renal parenchyma should be developed.
- Any vessels that are being identified during the excision should be meticulously coagulated with bipolar forceps.
- The 3mm suction instrument is usually adequate in maintaining a bloodless field. In case of bleeding that cannot be controlled by the latter instrument, a 5mm suction instrument could be used or on demand clamping of the artery could be performed.